I’m working on a business question and need a reference to help me learn.
The purpose of this project is to gain self-knowledge and apply that knowledge in an application for a leadership position.
You are also completing this project to help you develop the skills of self-analysis, research, critical thinking, and writing a report intended for executive review. Writing is critical because, in business, it is important to convey information clearly and concisely and to develop a personal brand. Developing a personal brand is important because it is the ongoing process of establishing an image or impression in the minds of others, especially those in positions above you. Having a strong personal brand can lead to opportunities that include promotions.
Skills: Research, Writing, Critical Thinking, Developing a Personal Brand, Self-Analysis, Writing a Report.
Outcomes Met With This Project:
- Use leadership theories, assessment tools, and an understanding of the role of ethics, values, and attitudes to evaluate and enhance personal leadership skills;
- Assess the interactions between the external environment and the organization to foster responsible and effective leadership and organizational practices;
- Develop individual awareness, style, and communication skills that enhance leadership skills;
- Integrate and apply analytical principles and skills to make strategic decisions.
You have completed your role on the Succession Plan Committee. You and your Group identified leadership competencies for five internal positions, and your group also recommended some internal candidates for consideration of those positions.
As you are putting away your notes from the Succession Plan Committee meetings, you come across this statement “These positions will need to be filled over the next 12-24 months. There is not an immediate need for any of them currently, but vacancies will be imminent. The preference is to fill these internally….”
You cannot help but wonder, “why not me”? The more you read the description of the open positions, the more you are convinced that you should put yourself forward as a candidate for one of these leadership positions.
Step 1: Course Material
For this project, you are required to use the case scenario facts and the course material. External sources are not permitted. You are not researching on the Internet or using resources from outside the course. You are expected to answer the requirements identified below, showing the connection between the case scenario facts and the course material. Using course material goes beyond defining terms and explains the ‘why and how’ of a situation. Avoid merely making statements but close the loop of the discussion by explaining how something happens or why something happens, which focuses on importance and impact. In closing the loop, you will demonstrate the ability to think clearly and rationally, showing an understanding of the logical connections between the ideas presented in a case scenario, the course material, and the question(s) being asked. Using one or two in-text citations from the course material throughout the entire paper will not earn many points on an assignment. The use of a variety of course material is expected to support what is presented consistently. The support must be relevant and applicable to the topic being discussed. Points are not earned for mentioning a term or concept but by clearly and thoroughly explaining or discussing the question at hand.
Step 2: Leadership Competencies Table
Review the Leadership Competencies Table completed in Week Two to accompany the Job Announcement. (You may also wish to review any feedback received from your Instructor about your Table.)
Step 3: Upcoming Open Positions at Life Science Nutraceuticals, Inc. (LSN).
Position #1: Sales Director, Middle East
Location: Saudi Arabia
Reports to: Executive Director, Asia Division
LSN’s Asia Division will be opening its first Middle East location in Saudi Arabia in the next 12 months. A Sales Director will be needed to head up this new division. A team of local salespeople will need to be recruited, hired, and trained by this leader. It is expected that this sales team may be largely men.
Two sources that are recommended for more information about doing business in Saudi Arabia are:
Guide to Saudi Arabia Etiquette, Customs, Culture, and Business
Saudi Arabia Management Guide
Position #2: Director of Research and Development (R&D)
Location: Headquarters, Miami, Florida
Reports to: VP of Headquarter Operations
R&D is at the heart of LSN’s success, and, indeed, it is the future. The leader of Research and Development will lead a group of scientists and innovators but does not need to be a scientist himself/herself. R&D is located centrally at LSN Headquarters because R&D coordinates with all other departments and divisions. This is a high-profile position.
Position #3: VP of Headquarter Operations
Location: Headquarters, Miami, Florida
Reports to: President and CEO
The Headquarters houses R&D, HR, IT, Purchasing, and Finance. Each department has its own “subculture,” and each department is fairly distinct from the other. The young, youthful subculture of IT often clashes with the conservative subculture of the Finance department, for example. Many of the members of the Finance and HR teams are baby boomers and are near retirement. This leader oversees the smooth operation of all of these departments and ensures the coordination of these departments with each other and with each of the four geographic divisions across the world.
Position #4: Executive Director, North American Division
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Reports to: President and CEO
This leader will head up the largest and most profitable division of LSN. This division is seen as the “flagship” by the other divisions since LSN roots are in the United States. This Executive Director has the “ear” of the CEO and spends a lot of time with the Marvel family. This leader is faced with spearheading the future direction of LSN in North America and is challenged with filling openings throughout the United States and Canada caused by fast growth and a retiring Baby Boomer population.
Position #5: Director of Finance
Location: Headquarters, Miami, Florida
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
This leader oversees the day-to-day operations of the finance department. This leader is expected to aid in strategic planning with the executive team of LSN. Although a finance background is not required, this person is expected to bring a conservative approach to the strategic planning table to balance out the high-risk tolerance of the rest of the leadership at LSN. A “big picture” perspective is definitely needed here.
Step 4: Review
Review the Succession Planning Table-Part One that your Group used to outline leadership competencies for each of the five positions. (You may also wish to review any feedback received from your Instructor about this Table.)
Step 5: Self-Assessment Tests
Complete the following Self-Assessment tests (also found under Week Five Content). Save the results of each test, as they will need to be included in the Appendix.
Step 6: Choose One
Based upon these tests’ results and your review of the leadership competencies required for each position, choose ONE of the five positions for which you wish to put yourself forward.
Step 7: Write a Memo
Write a memo to President and CEO Alexandria Marvel using the format outlined below:
Your Memo will be addressed to Ms. Alexandria Marvel, the CEO and President of Life Science Nutraceuticals, Inc. The Memo should be single-spaced. The Memo should include the following structural elements:
The report should contain the following sections, with each section supported by course materials. Label each section using Roman Numerals I through X.
- I. Introduction: Briefly introduce yourself to the President and CEO and describe the purpose of your memo.
- II. Identify the position you wish to be considered:
- Briefly review the leadership competencies identified as important for the person that occupies this position.
- Summarize the leadership competencies that you feel you have that make you a qualified candidate for this position. This should be a summary, as you will get into more detail in upcoming sections.
- III. Identify your Jung Personality Test and Self-Esteem Test outcomes and describe why your personality is suited to the position.
- IV. Identify the Communications Skills Test outcomes and describe why you have the communication skills suited to this position.
- V. Identify the outcomes of the Know Your Top 5 Strengths and the Leadership Style Test, and describe why you have the key strengths (you can select 2 of your 5 strengths to discuss) and appropriate leadership style for this position.
- VI. Identify the Cultural Intelligence Test and Emotional Intelligence Test outcomes and describe why you have the CQ and the EQ suited to this position.
- VII. Identify the Ultimate Ethics Quiz outcomes and describe why you have the moral compass suited to this position.
- VIII. Conclusion – briefly summarize for Ms. Marvel why you should be considered for this position.
- IX. Reference Page (in APA format)
- X. Appendix – to include the results of all self-assessment tests described in the memo in sections III through VII.
Step 8: Submit the completed Report in the Assignment Folder.
Submitting the project to the Assignment Folder is considered the student’s final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the assignment is the correct submission. The instructor will consider no exceptions.
Other Required Elements:
- This is a memo to Alexandria Marvel, President, and CEO. There is a fine line between stating your case and taking up too much of her time. It would help if you attempted to keep it to no more than 4 pages, single-spaced (not including cover page, reference page, and appendix).
- Read the grading rubric for the project. Use the grading rubric while completing the project to ensure all requirements are met to lead to the highest possible grade.
- Contractions are not used in business memos, so do not use them.
- Paraphrase and do not use direct quotation marks. This means you do not use more than four consecutive words from a source document but put a passage from a source document into your own words and attribute the passage to the source document, using in-text citations in APA format.
- In-text citations should be included in ALL SECTIONS of the memo and should demonstrate the application of the course material. Note that a reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa.
- You may only use the course material from the classroom. You may not use books or any resource from the Internet.
- Provide the page or paragraph number, where applicable.