Your company asked you to evaluate two potential projects. These projects are active for 10 years and have no salvage life. Both have the same upfront costs, but the revenue stream from each of the projects is subject to variation, so risk is involved.
You are given the following information:
Firm’s cost of capital: 10%
Each project will require three years of investment before revenues are generated.
The following cost distribution is given:
Probability of Outcome Year 1 Investment Costs Year 2 Investment Costs Year 3 Investment Costs Expected Annual Revenues in Year 4 Expected Rate of Increase in Annual Revenues
Outcome A 20% $1,000 $2,000 $1,000 500 2%
Outcome B 40% $1,000 $2,000 $1,000 650 3%
Outcome C 40% $1,000 $2,000 $1,000 850 4%
Outcome A 10% $1,000 $2,000 $1,000 675 2%
Outcome B 50% $1,000 $2,000 $1,000 700 2.40%
Outcome C 40% $1,000 $2,000 $1,000 725 2.80%
In a new worksheet in Excel, answer the following:
1. What is the expected value of the NPV for each of the projects?
2. What is the standard deviation of the NPV for each of the projects?
3. What is the coefficient of variation of the NPV for each of the projects?
4. Which project has a higher expected return? Which has more risk?
5. Which one would you recommend to your company? How does its attitude toward risk affect your answer?
Consider the two options in the following table, both of which have random outcomes:
a. Determine the expected value of each option.
b. Determine the variance and standard deviation of each option.
c. Which option is most risky?
Problem 12-05 (Algo)
A risk-neutral consumer is deciding whether to purchase a homogeneous product from one of two firms. One firm produces an unreliable product and the other a reliable product. At the time of the sale, the consumer is unable to distinguish between the two firms’ products. From the consumer’s perspective, there is an equal chance that a given firm’s product is reliable or unreliable. The maximum amount this consumer will pay for an unreliable product is $0, while she will pay $110 for a reliable product.
a. Given this uncertainty, what is the most this consumer will pay to purchase one unit of this product?
b. How much will this consumer be willing to pay for the product if the firm offering the reliable product includes a warranty that will protect the consumer?
Problem 12-18 (Algo)
Pelican Point Financial Group’s clientele consists of two types of investors. The first type of investor makes many transactions in a given year and has a net worth of over $2 million. These investors seek unlimited access to investment consultants and are willing to pay up to $10,000 annually for no-fee-based transactions, or alternatively, $50 per trade. The other type of investor also has a net worth of over $2 million but makes few transactions each year and therefore is willing to pay $85 per trade.
You are the manager of a firm that sells a “commodity” in a market that resembles perfect competition, and your cost function is C(Q) = 2Q + 3Q2. Unfortunately, due to production lags, you must make your output decision prior to knowing for certain the price that will prevail in the market. You believe that there is a 70 percent chance the market price will be $200 and a 30 percent chance it will be $600.
a. Calculate the expected market price.
b. What output should you produce in order to maximize expected profits?
c. What are your expected profits?
As the manager of Smith Construction, you need to make a decision on the number of homes to build in a new residential area where you are the only builder. Unfortunately, you must build the homes before you learn how strong demand is for homes in this large neighborhood. There is a 60 percent chance of low demand and a 40 percent chance of high demand. The corresponding (inverse) demand functions for these two scenarios are P = 300,000 – 400Q and P = 500,000 – 275Q, respectively. Your cost function is C(Q) = 140,000 + 240,000Q.
How many new homes should you build, and what profits can you expect?
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Paper Helper has assembled a team of highly skilled writers with diverse experience in the online writing circles. Our aim is to become a one stop shop for all your Academic/ online writing. Check out below our amazing service!
At Paper Helper, we prioritize on all aspects that creates a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines. The principal purpose of essay writing is to present the author's evaluation concerning a singular subject about which they have made. Since Professionalism is the mother of every success, try our team of experienced writers in helping you complete your essays and other assignments.
You have been trying to join that prestigious institution you long yearned for, but the hurdle of an admission essay has become a stumbling block. We have your back, with our proven team that has gained invaluable experience over time, your chance of joining that institution is now! Just let us work on that essay.How do you write an admission essay? How do you begin the essay? For answers, try Quality Custom Writers Now!
Editing and Proofreading
Regardless of whether you're pleased with your composing abilities, it's never an impractical notion to have a second eye go through your work. The best editing services leaves no mistake untouched. We recognize the stuff needed to polish up a writing; as a component of our editing and proofreading, we'll change and refine your write up to guarantee it's amazing, and blunder free. Our group of expert editors will examine your work, giving an impeccable touch of English while ensuring your punctuation and sentence structures are top-notch.
We pride ourselves in having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the best persons for job. We hire qualified PhD and MA writers only. We equally offer our team of writers bonuses and incentives to motivate their working spirit in terms of delivering original, unique, and informative content. They are our resources drawn from diverse fields. Therefore your technical paper is in the right hands. Every paper is assessed and only the writers with the technical know-how in that field get to work on it.
College Essay Writing
If all along you have been looking for a trustworthy college essay service provider that provides superb academic papers at reasonable prices, then be glad that you search has ended with us. We are your best choice! Get high-quality college essay writing from our magnificent team of knowledgeable and dedicated writers right now!
Quality Assignment/Homework Help
We give the students premium quality assignments, without alarming them with plagiarism and referencing issues. We ensure that the assignments stick to the rules given by the tutors. We are specific about the deadlines you give us. We assure you that you will get your papers well in advance, knowing that you will review and return it if there are any changes, which should be incorporated.