1) In which era were only the U.S. government, colleges, and universities able to
access the Internet?
2) Application software includes all of the following EXCEPT ________ software.
b. Web browser
3) Output refers to:
a. displaying the results of the processing operation so that people can undestand
b. information that needs further computer activity in order to have meaning to
c. performing operations on the input data.
d. sending the results of computer processing to a permanent location.
4) Which of the following device types holds the programs and data that the
a. Communication devices
b. Input devices
c. Output devices
d. Storage devices
5) Which of the following is often considered the fi fth operation in the information-
6) Network computers have limited resources in all the following areas EXCEPT:
7) What type of systems are the ones on which human lives depend?
8) Which of the following safety-critical airline computer systems requires the
highest level of quality standards?
b. Passenger list and seating assignments
c. Passenger entertainment and communication
d. Air traffi c control
9) More than ________ computers, monitors, and TVs become obsolete each
a. 10 million
b. 100 million
c. 10 billion
d. 100 billion
10) What is a school’s code of conduct for computers users called?
a. Computer usage agreement
b. Acceptable use policy
c. Computer conduct agreement
d. Associated usage principals
11) Which of the following would NOT be considered correct netiquette?
a. Reading the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document posted on a mailing
list prior to submitting a question
b. Avoiding slang and jokes in professional e-mail
c. Using all capital letters in an e-mail response
d. Learning and using Internet Relay Chat (IRC) abbreviations in the same way
as other users
12) Which of the following statements is TRUE concerning computer games and
a. The games industry has taken responsibility to minimize the violence in their
b. Computer games are becoming more violent.
c. Playing computer games led to the Columbine tragedy.
d. Computer games cause players to be more violent and aggressive.
13) At the heart of every computer code of ethics is to:
a. eliminate all potential computer bugs.
b. honor property rights and individual privacy.
c. avoid harm and protect human life.
d. fi ght software piracy.
14) Which of the following is NOT considered plagiarism?
a. Purchase a term paper from an Internet company and use it as the basis of
your own work for a college course.
b. Paste a paragraph of text from a Web page into an essay, but make modifi cations
to it before submission as your homework assignment.
c. Use a quote from a public speech on your history take-home exam, but cite
the orator in your bibliography.
d. With his consent, copy your friend’s algebra homework for submission to your
15) Plagiarizing copyrighted material is also known as:
a. copyright theft.
b. copyright piracy.
c. unacceptable copyright use.
d. copyright infringement.
16) Which of the following activities is NOT permitted with a shareware product?
a. Keep the software on your computer system beyond the trial expiration date.
b. Use the software during the trial period and then delete it.
c. Copy a trial version to give to your friend for examination.
d. Download the software from the Internet and then install it on both your desktop
and laptop computers.
17) If software falls under the General Public License, it:
a. can only legally be copied on one PC.
b. may be copied and used freely.
c. can be legally installed on one LAN.
d. may be copied to one PC then legally sold to another user.
18) Which of the following is NOT considered copyright infringement with respect
to a sound fi le?
a. Copying the song to a disk for your friend as encouragement to buy the album
b. Using a phrase of the music in a college term paper as an example of a particular
c. Downloading the song to play at a party and then deleting it the next day
d. Using part of the song as a jingle on your company Web site
19) Hypertext works by using:
b. embedded commands.
20) The fi rst successful graphical Web browser was called:
21) In a Web browser, the Refresh button is used to:
a. return to the home page.
b. exit from the browser.
c. go back to the page previously viewed.
d. obtain the latest content of the page being viewed.
22) HTTP is best defi ned as a:
a. standard for the exchange of information on the Web.
b. markup language used to describe the format of Web pages.
c. programming language used to write Internet-related application software.
d. scripting language used to add dynamic content to Web pages.
23) Which of the following is an example of a top-level domain name?
24) What is the name of the path that houses the Web page in the fi ctitious URL
given below? http://www.univ.edu/classroom/welcome.htm
25) In a URL which of the following identifi es the location of a document on the
26) What is the software called that goes about the Web gathering URLs and
information on their associated pages?
27) Which of the following is most likely an e-mail address?
b. Jane Doe
d. [email protected]
28) Which type of e-commerce occurs when a business uses the Internet to provide
services to another business?
29) eBay transactions are examples of which type of e-commerce?
30) Which type of e-commerce occurs when a merchant uses the Internet to supply
consumers with goods or services?
31) Although Amazon.com now sells a variety of merchandise, it originally:
a. sold airline tickets.
b. sold books.
c. rented hotel rooms.
d. conducted stock transactions.
32) Retailers that have both an online and traditional presence are known as
33) Quicken and Microsoft Money Plus are commonly used to assist in online:
b. stock trading.
c. travel reservations.
34) E-trading began in:
35) Online stock trading accounts for what part of all stock trades?
36) Bluetooth devices identify each other using ________ that are unique to each
a. radio frequencies
b. honing devices
c. analog waves
d. identifi cation numbers
37) Because ________ is still NOT available in many areas, direct broadcast satellite
is a viable option.
b. the public telephone system
d. None of the above
38) Which of the following statements is NOT true about the public switched
telephone network (PSTN)?
a. PSTN uses subscriber loop carriers to link home and business telephones.
b. PSTN uses a variety of physical media, including twisted-pair and fi ber-optic
c. PSTN is exclusively an analog network.
d. PSTN is a global network used for both voice and data communications.
39) A local exchange switch of the PSTN is typically located:
a. on the side of a customer’s house.
b. on a telephone pole at the end of a block or small area.
c. at a network access point (NAP).
d. in the local telephone company’s central offi ce.
40) ________ sends more than one call over a single line.
41) Approximately what percentage of U.S. households has opted to disconnect
their conventional landline telephones and rely on cellular service only?
42) Which of the following is NOT a home networking technology?
43) What is the communications standard that specifi es how physically connected
computers in a network send data?
44) Wi-Fi network access points are also referred to as:
a. points of presence.
b. network interface points.
c. wireless access points.
d. peer computer points.
45) Which of the following is NOT a step in setting up a home network?
a. Confi guration
c. Maintenance and support
46) A wired Ethernet network is best installed at what time?
a. After the networking equipment is purchased
b. During home construction
c. Over a long weekend
d. After home construction
47) Which of the following is not a task in the confi guration process?
a. Designating which PC s are part of the network
b. Wiring the network
c. Designating how fi les, folders and peripherals will be shared
d. Installing the proper hardware and software
48) The best way to improve the performance of your computer is to:
a. increase the size of the swap fi le so that you can use variable pages.
b. install more RAM in the computer because the random access memory works
faster than the hard disk.
c. increase the use of virtual memory because the paging technique increases
the speed of the memory.
d. install a larger hard disk in the computer so that you can store more swap
49) Signals that inform the OS that something has happened are:
a. program defects.
b. operating system diversions.
50) The following is an example of which type of user interface?
copy A:mypic.jpg c:mypic.jpg
51) Linux is an example of open source software, meaning:
a. it has to be confi gured to your computer system.
b. the software must be purchased from a vendor who markets products on an
open commercial Web site.
c. the software has not been perfected suffi ciently to be of professional value.
d. users can see and modify the source programming code.
52) Many CIOs shy away from adopting Linux because:
a. it has not been properly tested.
b. it doesn’t have a stable company behind it.
c. it’s free.
d. it’s powerful.
53) The UNIX operating system was developed by:
54) Folders are also known as:
d. fi les.
55) Given the fi le designator below, in which folder is the fi le located?
56) Which of the following is NOT a storage device typically found on desktop
a. Hard drive
b. Tape drive
c. CD drive
d. DVD drive
57) The second part of a fi le name on a PC is called the:
a. prefi x.
d. suffi x.
58) A fi le with extension .xlsx is most likely a(n):
a. ASCII text fi le.
b. Microsoft Excel fi le.
c. Picture or image fi le.
d. Microsoft Access fi le.
59) Right-dragging a fi le between drives:
a. displays the task pane.
b. copies the fi le.
c. displays a context-sensitive menu.
d. moves the fi le.
60) Multimedia involves ________ or more media.
a. at least three
61) Which type of graphic is created by a drawing program?
a. Post Script
62) Graphical MUDS serve which of the following purposes?
a. Compressing graphics for use in digital video
b. Decompressing graphics in preparation for displaying on the Web
c. Compressing graphics in preparation for displaying on the Web
d. Bringing the virtual environment to life in 3-D graphical environments
63) If inserting the disk doesn’t automatically start the installation process, you
will need to click the Windows ________ button.
64) Applications typically enable you to choose from a list of ________ that
specify how you want the program to operate.
b. confi gurations
65) Which of the following programs is NOT included with the Home and Student
version of Microsoft Offi ce?
66) Which part of a Microsoft Offi ce application window includes the Maximize,
Minimize, and Close buttons?
b. Status bar
c. Task bar
d. Title bar
67) Which part of a Microsoft Offi ce application window includes information
about the current document, such as a page number or edit mode?
b. Task pane
c. Status bar
d. Title bar
68) Which of the following is NOT a tab name found in the Ribbon?
69) Which type of Microsoft Access object would be useful if you needed to design
an input screen through which a clerk might enter data?
70) Floating-point notation:
a. allows the computer to work with very large, but not very small, numbers.
b. uses no fi xed number of digits before or after the decimal point.
c. requires newer computers to have a special chip called a math coprocessor.
d. has no advantage if used with numbers containing fractional points.
71) Which of the following would NOT be found on the motherboard?
b. Drive bays
c. Input/output buses
d. System clock
72) At the most granular level, the CPU interprets and processes:
a. mathematical equations.
d. Boolean operators.
73) Which subcomponent of the CPU takes instructions from memory and decodes
and executes the instructions?
a. Data bus
c. Control unit
d. Arithmetic-logic unit
74) Video circuitry that is built into the motherboard is called:
a. on-board video.
b. a VGA connector.
c. a video adapter.
d. a video card.
75) A(n) ________ can store more data than a CD and yet is compatible with compact
76) The quality and resolution of the display on the monitor is determined by
b. Video card
d. Hard drive
77) What is another term for aperture grill?
a. Dot pitch
b. LCD mask
c. Electron mesh
d. Raster lattice
78) Which of the following is NOT true?
a. A laser printer is faster than an inkjet printer.
b. The print quality of a laser printer is better than an inkjet printer.
c. The operating cost of a laser printer is more than an inkjet printer.
d. The purchase price of a laser printer is more than an inkjet printer.
79) What is the purpose of a UPS?
a. It provides a power source if electricity fails.
b. It is the primary power source for a notebook computer.
c. It is an alternate hard disk backup unit in case of hard disk failure.
d. It is a theft-protection system that disables your computer if stolen.
80) Early speech recognition systems used what type of speech recognition?
81) The ________ is a pattern of bars printed on merchandise that stores information
about the item.
82) Which of the following is NOT a reason for using storage rather than memory
to hold data and information?
a. There are limitations to the size of RAM.
b. Storage devices traditionally have faster access times than RAM.
c. Storage devices are nonvolatile.
d. Storage devices are inexpensive compared to RAM.
83) Which of the following is NOT an example of a solid state storage device?
a. Smart card
b. Cache memory
c. PC card
d. Flash memory card
84) What type of storage uses two laser beams to create a three-dimensional image?
b. Integrated circuit
c. Fiber optic
85) The term MP3 is derived from the acronym:
86) Music on a CD is high quality because the music is sampled ________ times
87) An MP3 fi le is about ________ the size of an uncompressed fi le.
b. one-fi fth
88) Which of the following is NOT a video codec?
89) All of the following provide similar functions in a network EXCEPT:
a. network operating systems.
d. wireless access points.
90) Some of the biggest P2P threats are from:
a. insuffi cient capacity.
c. poor confi guration.
d. NOS defects.
91) To carry computer data over the long haul, WANs need to have a(n) ________
in multiple towns and cities.
92) Which switching method is used by the public switched telephone network
93) Moore’s Law predicts that microprocessors and circuits will double in circuit
a. 6 months.
b. 18 to 24 months.
c. 5 years.
94) According to Metcalfe’s Law, a network connecting fi ve people has a value of:
95) When considering the human brain as a CPU, in which area is it the weakest?
a. Visual input
c. Mathematical calculations
d. Pattern matching
96) Machine translation programs are used to:
a. convert spoken words to text.
b. convert text from one language to another.
c. translate code written in a high-level language into machine language.
d. convert scanned pictures to graphic fi les.
97) Which organization has reported that many color laser printers embed printer
tracking dots on nearly every page at the urging of the U.S. government?
a. Electronic Frontier Foundation
b. National Printer Alliance
c. Patriot Organization
d. National Counterfeit Tracking Organization
98) The new emerging legal fi eld that tracks and combats computer-related
crimes is called:
a. Web law.
c. Web policing.
d. Internet crime fi ghting.
99) Many computer viruses are spread by:
a. LAN and WAN connected computers.
b. CDs and DVDs.
c. e-mail attachments.
d. software downloaded from the Internet.
100) When Internet data appears to come from one place when it’s really coming
from another, this is known as:
c. salami shaving.
d. data diddling.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Paper Helper has assembled a team of highly skilled writers with diverse experience in the online writing circles. Our aim is to become a one stop shop for all your Academic/ online writing. Check out below our amazing service!
At Paper Helper, we prioritize on all aspects that creates a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines. The principal purpose of essay writing is to present the author's evaluation concerning a singular subject about which they have made. Since Professionalism is the mother of every success, try our team of experienced writers in helping you complete your essays and other assignments.
You have been trying to join that prestigious institution you long yearned for, but the hurdle of an admission essay has become a stumbling block. We have your back, with our proven team that has gained invaluable experience over time, your chance of joining that institution is now! Just let us work on that essay.How do you write an admission essay? How do you begin the essay? For answers, try Quality Custom Writers Now!
Editing and Proofreading
Regardless of whether you're pleased with your composing abilities, it's never an impractical notion to have a second eye go through your work. The best editing services leaves no mistake untouched. We recognize the stuff needed to polish up a writing; as a component of our editing and proofreading, we'll change and refine your write up to guarantee it's amazing, and blunder free. Our group of expert editors will examine your work, giving an impeccable touch of English while ensuring your punctuation and sentence structures are top-notch.
We pride ourselves in having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the best persons for job. We hire qualified PhD and MA writers only. We equally offer our team of writers bonuses and incentives to motivate their working spirit in terms of delivering original, unique, and informative content. They are our resources drawn from diverse fields. Therefore your technical paper is in the right hands. Every paper is assessed and only the writers with the technical know-how in that field get to work on it.
College Essay Writing
If all along you have been looking for a trustworthy college essay service provider that provides superb academic papers at reasonable prices, then be glad that you search has ended with us. We are your best choice! Get high-quality college essay writing from our magnificent team of knowledgeable and dedicated writers right now!
Quality Assignment/Homework Help
We give the students premium quality assignments, without alarming them with plagiarism and referencing issues. We ensure that the assignments stick to the rules given by the tutors. We are specific about the deadlines you give us. We assure you that you will get your papers well in advance, knowing that you will review and return it if there are any changes, which should be incorporated.